April 5, 2009 From Asianews.com.pk
QUETTA: Balochistan police found on Saturday 50 dead bodies and dozens of other people, many of them unconscious, crammed inside a shipping container on a truck from Afghanistan, an official and police said.
The truck had apparently been driven in to Pakistan by human smugglers aiming to take the people to Iran, said government official Naseem Lari.
“The truck came from Spin Boldak and was bound for Iran,” Lari said, referring to an Afghan border town opposite Balochistan.
“We’ve got 43 dead confirmed and many more unconscious,” he said.
The truck carrying the container had been left at a truck stop on the outskirts of the city of Quetta and police had been alerted after passers-by heard cries for help, said police official Abid Jadoon.
Jadoon said about 100 people in total were in the container and the dead had suffocated in its tightly sealed interior.
Welcome To ALENOW.org( Isaiah 1:17): Seek justice, protect the oppressed, defend the orphan, plead for the widow. - Thank you for visiting. This blog intends to provide news, discussions and resources on social justice topics such as, Human Trafficking, Sexual Exploitation, Modern Day Slavery, Holocaust Issues and Genocide. I hope you find your visits here useful and informative. Please contact me at email@example.com
- Awesome Kid Raises $30K From Lemonade Stand, Uses Money to Fight Human Trafficking
- Coalition Launches Campaign for National Human Trafficking Awareness Day
- How One Woman is Fighting Trafficking in NYC … and Winning
- National Day of Action to End Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking Today
- Free2Work Smartphone App Lets Shoppers Fight Slavery
- Awareness Book/Resource Child Abuse Child Labor Child Prostitution Debt Bondage Event Fair Trade FellowShips Forced Labor Gangs Genocide Holocaust Human Trafficking Indentured Servitude Internet Law Enforcement Modern Day Slavery News Organized Crime Sex Trafficking and Prostitution Sexual Exploitation Sexual Tourism Social Networking Take Action Uncategorized