by Amanda Kloer
Today is National Human Trafficking Awareness Day. But here in the End Human Trafficking Community at Change.org, every day is about human trafficking awareness. So to build off the awesome awareness-raising activities going on around the country, I’m bringing you ideas for action. Last year, I gave you 11 suggestions of things to do today to help end human trafficking. This year, we’re raising the bar to 40. Everything on this two-part list is a quick, easy action you can take to spread the word about and help fight modern-day slavery. But all these little actions add up fast, and if every one of the over 43,000 people in this online community did just one thing on this list, we would see a huge difference in the fight against human trafficking.
So here is my challenge to you. 1 day. 1 action. 40 ideas. What will you do to end slavery today?
40 Ways to Take Action on National Human Trafficking Awareness Day: Part 2
21. Write a poem or a song about human trafficking.
22. Write to my congressman, asking what she or he is doing to address human trafficking in my area.
23. Write to my city council representative, asking what she or he is doing to address human trafficking in my city.
24. Make a video about human trafficking and put it on YouTube.
25. Find out if the products my employer buys are Fair Trade certified.
26. Ask my employer to consider buying Fair Trade certified alternatives of products.
27. Buy a cup of Fair Trade Coffee at a local coffee shop or a national chain.
28. Cook a meal for or bring food to a local anti-trafficking shelter.
29. Write a thank you note to my favorite anti-trafficking organization letting them know how much I appreciate their efforts.
30. Start an anti-trafficking club or meetup in my community.
31. Start or join a book club that reads books about human trafficking.
32. Volunteer to do victim outreach with a local organization.
33. Hold a candlelight vigil.
34. Set up a Google alert for human trafficking news.
35. Collect donations at my school or place of business
36. Donate to an anti-trafficking organization online.
37. Clean out my closet to donate clothes to a trafficking shelter.
38. Talk about human trafficking with my faith community.
39. Plan an awareness or fund raising activity for later in the year.
40. Add my own suggestions for how to take action against human trafficking to this list in the comments section.
A number of these actions were inspired by the even longer list available here. Click on “Take Action” for a list of ideas specific to who you are.
Photo credit: ellievanhoute